Making a kitchen window valance

As a beginner sewer I can make curtains with no problem, of course I'm not lining so it makes it very simple!

I bought this beautiful fabric for 7.99 per yard however I just bought a half. My window is 35" wide so I used the entire width of the fabric to give it a little cinch on the top. Of course if you want more than you would take more steps but here are simple steps to creating a valance:

1st I folded over the rough edges and sewed them on both sides.

Next I ironed down the rod pocket which should be apx 2 to 3 inches depending on your rod or more if you want. Then I ironed down the bottom hem about 1 inch,  now you can make a hem to your preference and I think big thick hems are beautiful like 4" or even 6" but being I didn't have a lot of fabric to work with and it's just a small kitchen valance so I made less than a 1" hem, after ironing that down I sewed both the rod pocket and bottom hem and got a beautiful valance in a fabric I like.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baseball stitch wall

Princess Tea Party